Advice Surgeries

I hold regular advice surgeries at Kenilworth Library and also at Southam Library giving you the opportunity to discuss any issues or problems that you feel I may be able to assist you with. 

Click here for details of my next advice surgery

I operate an appointment system for the advice surgeries I hold at both libraries, if you would like to book an appointment please contact my office and give a brief outline of the issue. In many cases my staff can point constituents in the right direction or help directly without the need for you to wait and see me.

While my staff and I cannot guarantee to be able to resolve every problem brought to us, we will always do our best to help and assist you.

Here's how I can help you

Many people think that their MP can solve all their problems. This is sadly not the case. MPs are there to help only with those matters for which Parliament or Central Government is responsible for, such as matters relating to:

  • Tax queries involving the HM Revenue and Customs.

  • Issues dealt with by the Department for Work and Pensions, such as employment, benefits, pensions, National Insurance and child maintenance. 

  • Issues dealt with by the Home Office, such as crime, the police, counter terrorism, alcohol, drugs, immigration and passports.

  • Issues dealt with by the Department of Health, such as hospitals, the NHS and public health.

  • Issues dealt with by the Department for Education, such as children, young people, families, education and training for 16 to 19 year olds, school standards, teacher training. Academies and educational grants.

When you should contact someone else

Some issues are not the direct responsibility of Parliament or Government, therefore my staff and I cannot help resolve disputes with neighbours, landlords or employers, family arguments or consumer matters. MPs cannot interfere with matters of legal process including court decisions. Nor can they offer legal advice or give immigration advice. In these instances, you should contact your nearest Citizens Advice Bureau or seek appropriate independent legal advice. 

I do not have any jurisdiction over decisions made by local councils, such as individual planning matters, housing etc. These issues should always be raised with your local councillor. You can check who this is at However, I may be able to help by writing to a local council to highlight the issue you have, but you should always contact your local councillor first.

How my staff and I will deal with your problem or concern

When a constituent writes or emails my staff and I will do all that we can to help you with your problem, such as writing a letter to the relevant organisation, Government Department or Government Minister. Many problems (but not all) can be resolved in this way. Whilst we cannot always obtain the answer you would like, we can ascertain that correct procedures have been followed.